18 Things You Should Never Say To A Hijabi
1. “Do you shower in it?”
Yes. In fact, we don’t even wash our hair. We only wash our hijabs.
2. “Do you wear it all the time?”
Yes. Even when I’m by myself, in my own house, I wear it. You know, for fun.
3. “Do you sleep in it?”
Yep. I have no need for a pillow because my hijab cushions my head in my sleep.
4. “Do you have to wear it…forever?”
Well, I don’t get to randomly take it off when I turn 40.
5. “Don’t you get hot in the summer?”
6. “It must keep you so warm during the winter!”
Yeah, that’s what it’s for: keeping warm.
7. “It must be so useful in the rain! You must never get wet!”
Yes! Because hijabs are entirely waterproof!
8. “If I see your hair, does that mean we have to get married?”
Yes, let’s go right now. Las Vegas it is.
9. “Who is allowed to see your hair?”
No one. Not even me.
10. “Do you have hair underneath?”
No, I am completely bald. I shave my head once a month.
11. “You’re so lucky you don’t have bad hair days!”
Bad hijab days do exist! They are the exact same as bad hair days.
13. “Can I see your hair?”
Yes, let me take it off right now and show you.
14. “Does Voldermort live at the back of your hijab?”
Yeah, the entire cast of Harry Potter live back there.
15. “Why do some Muslims wear it and other Muslims don’t?”
Because we’re individuals who practice our religion differently.
16. “Do you have to wear it though?”
It’s up to individual interpretations of the Qur’an. Some people think its obligatory and others don’t.
17. “But why do you wear it?”
Because I think it looks cool.
18. “So are you a Muslim?”
What do you think?